Funding from The Language Flagship allows The University of Georgia Portuguese Flagship Program to offer merit-based funding for students with a proven track record of dedication to and success in the study of Portuguese.
PFP scholars in good standing may receive funding for summer immersion programs in the U.S. and Brazil and funding for the Capstone Year program. Students are expected to seek out other funding sources and scholarships, from UGA and outside UGA, to complement Flagship support.
The Flagship Program also provides Pre-Collegiate Scholarships of $500 to graduating high school seniors participating in approved Summer immersion programs. These students must also be admitted to UGA and have also applied, and been accepted into, the Portuguese Flagship Program. See info about the Federal Service Language Academy’s Summer Program. Click here for application and more information about the Federal Service Language Academy.
Other Funding Sources
Scholarship Award Criteria
In order for a UGA undergraduate to receive Flagship Scholarships he or she must:
- Fulfill the PFP application and eligibility requirements.
- Demonstrate substantial progress towards a professional level of Portuguese proficiency.
- Actively participate in the tutorials and Extracurricular Requirements indicated above.
- Commit to a Capstone Year of study abroad in Brazil.
- Attend a mandatory workshop on internal and external funding opportunities and demonstrate proactive steps towards acquiring non-Flagship funding.
- Provide evidence (eg. loan information) of financial situation and need.