OpportunitiesPortuguese Flagship students have two remarkable opportunities to study abroad during their time with us:
1) Summer in Brazil at this program:
2) Capstone Year in São João del Rei, Minas Gerais, followed by 6 month internship. Students must first achieve an advanced score (minimum) on the ACTFL oral proficiency interview in Portuguese.
What to Expect
Here’s what a PFP student can expect while studying abroad:
- Fun, challenging classes, tailored for Flagship students during the Capstone Year.
- A rich cultural experience rooted in daily engagement with local students and community members.
- Accelerated language study and significant proficiency advancements
- Organized trips to explore the cultural and natural sites of Brazil.
Flagship students also have the opportunity to take part in a Portuguese summer immersion program. These are full summer programs generally running from early June to early August.
- Language immersion experience
- Intensive, small-group instruction
- Classes in language and culture
- Beautiful and vibrant settings
- Scholarship opportunities
*Summer programs are a strongly encouraged component of the PFP curriculum, and a key stepping stone towards advanced proficiency.
Once a student has completed an advanced score on the ACTFL OPI, he or she begins the Capstone Year -First 6 months at UFSJ in São João del Rei, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
It is during the Capstone Year abroad that PFP scholars make the leap from Advanced to Superior (ie, professional working capacity) proficiency in Portuguese and complete a final Capstone research project in the target language.
Capstone Year Highlights
- A full year program running from February to December (Brazilian academic year).
- Advanced language and Brazilian culture classes as well as the option to take discipline-based courses in biology, chemistry, computer science, education, food science, languages, math, and other fields.
- Cultural excursions to Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, and other nearby sites in the state of São Paulo.
- A coordinated internship program with local companies, NGOs, international organizations, or within the university.
- Pre-departure orientation in Athens, GA to ensure adequate student preparation.
Participation in the capstone year program is mandatory for all PFP scholars.
Eligibility & Admissions
In order to be eligible for study abroad, students must meet the following criteria:
- Undergraduate student enrolled at UGA.
- US citizen or legal permanent resident.
- In good standing with the Portuguese Flagship Program.
- Capstone: Advanced-Low proficiency or better in Portuguese.
- Score at Level 2 on ACTFL/ILR Oral Proficiency Interview prior to study abroad.
- Capstone Year in Brazil – a mandatory 11 month program consisting of intensive Portuguese study at UFSJ, content courses, and a semester long internship.
- Capstone research project – conducted and completed during Academic Year study abroad.