In 2012 Brazil overtook the UK as the 6th largest economy in the world. Brazil is also the home to the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics, in Rio de Janeiro. 36 Brazilian companies appeared in the Forbes Global 2000 ranking of the top 2000 public companies in the world, with oil and gas producer Petrobras ranked 4th, and the mining company Vale ranked 20th. Brazil is also the global leader in soybean exports, produces roughly 80% of the planet’s orange juice, and is the largest producer of beef in the world.
Proficient Portuguese speakers are in high demand. PFP scholars are poised to become:
- The next generation of Portuguese language teachers.
- Future diplomats and leaders.
- Political and intelligence government analysts.
- Entrepreneurs and business executives for global companies.
- Pioneers to develop health, education and national policies.
- International traders and lawyers.
- Engineers designing the future to meet our changing energy needs.